Over the next few weeks we will be posting a series on the 10 commandments of Pinterest. As we have mentioned in previous posts, Pinterest is a powerful social media tool that can help you find a community of friends and followers who share your interests. Since Pinterest is still a fairly new social network, we’ve decided to educate our readers on the rules of Pinterest and how to become a Pinterest rock star!
This commandment is designed to help you with the set up of your Pinterest account and to get you thinking about what kind of marketing strategies you want to use on the site. Not all social media platforms will work for all businesses, but I think that every type of business can benefit from the power of Pinterest and we’re going to show you how.
Set up your account properly
- Link your Pinterest account to your twitter and Facebook accounts. This gives you the ability to “pin” things that your already loyal followers will see and they will be able to join you on Pinterest easily.
- Create pin boards with creative and descriptive titles. You want potential followers to be interested in what you have to offer.
- Remember that Pinterest revolves around shared interests; be sure to create a pin board that shows personality rather than just product.
- Organize your pin boards by selecting a category for each board; this will effect how others find your pins.
- Make sure your account has a profile picture—Pinterest is a visually driven site.
- Write a description of your business, this will appear next to your profile picture, tell people what you’re all about!
Prep your company blog or website for “pinning”
- Pinterest has made sharing and pinning easy! All you need to do is add buttons to your site. Be sure you get both the “pin it” and “follow me on Pinterest” buttons.
- Integrate your Pinterest share buttons with your other social media platforms as well.
- Be sure to add pictures to all of your blog posts so that a pin profile picture is already in place. Choose a picture that is visually stimulating.
Research what your ideal client is pinning
- If you are pinning things that your ideal clients are in to, then you’ll gain a following of the right fans in no time!
- Tutorials and how-to blog posts are a huge hit on Pinterest, give customers ideas that they could do themselves.
- Try to think outside of your business box, what are your customers’ interests besides your brand?
- Now you’re ready to start adding pins to your pin boards! We recommend starting by pinning your company blogs and products from your website.
- Make sure each pin has a rich but brief description of what people can look forward to if they choose to read more.
- When pinning from your company blog or website, make sure that the pin is linked back to that post or product’s unique web address. This is the magic of Pinterest, if people like your pins they will follow the path back to the original source, which means more web traffic for your business!
- Have fun! Social media is all about forming relationships with your followers, not cramming products down their throats—keep this in mind when pinning and you’ll have a crowd of followers in no time!
Stay tuned for the rest of the Pinterest commandments! We hope you enjoy this series of blog posts. You’re already on your way to Pinterest success!
Good Luck Marketing!
For these and other blogs from Orange Tail Marketing go to www.OrangeTailMarketing.com. Orange Tail Marketing an Ogden Utah Business provides quality search engine marketing, social media marketing, local search marketing as well as long term email nurture campaigns for businesses all around North America. Feel free to call us today at 801-317-TAIL (8245)